INDIAN CONSTITUTION, PREAMBLE- ALL THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT
” WE, THE PEOPLE OF INDIA, have solemnly resolved to constitute India into a
SOVEREIGN SOCIALIST SECULAR DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC
and to secure to all citizens: JUSTICE social, economic and political;
LIBERTY of thoughts, expression, belief, faith and worship;
EQUALITY of status and of opportunity; and to promote among them all
FRATERNITY assuming the dignity of the individual and the unity and integrity of the Nation;
IN OUR CONSTITUENT ASSEMBLY, this twenty sixty day of November, 1949,do
HEREBY ADOPT,ENACT AND GIVE
TO OURSELVES THIS CONSTITUTION.”
- It is a preface or the introduction to the constitution or we can say INDIAN CONSTITUTION PREAMBLE- ALL THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT. It is not an integral part of constitution. Rather the interpretation of constitution is based on the spirit of Preamble.
- Pandit Nehru proposed the Objective Resolution and it was passed by the Constituent Assembly finally became the Preamble.
- The idea of constitution was given by M.N. Roy. Since he was a remarkable pioneer of communist movement in India.
- The present constitution was framed by the Constituent Assembly of India setup under Cabinet Mission Plan of May 16, 1946.
- The idea of Preamble was borrowed from the constitution of USA. Hence it is the most significant part of the Constitution.
- After the constitution was accepted successfully there was a need of amendment which was done in 1976. It was the 42nd amendment when the words “SOCIALIST’, “SECULAR” AND “INTEGRITY” were added.
- The use of some special terms like Sovereign, Socialist, Secular, Democratic, Republic are very meaningful in the constitution. “Sovereign” means free to follow internal and external policies. “Socialist” means no concentration of power and money, that means a nation with free opportunity. “Secular”-here it is very important in a country like India because here people belong to different caste, religion,belief. In conclusion the word means no favor for a particular religion. “Democratic” means representatives who were elected by the common mass. Finally “Republic” means no space for hereditary ruler or monarch, the nation will give chance to those who are elected by the people living there.
- Therefore the remarkable point of the constitution is that the Preamble is not justifiable.
COMPOSITION OF CONSTITUENT ASSEMBLY
The Constituent Assembly consisted of 389 members. Among them 292 were elected by the elected members of the Provincial Legislative Assemblies while 93 members were nominated by the Princely States. Each Province and each Indian State or group of States were allotted the total number of seats proportional to their respective population.
The seats in each province were distributed among the three main communities Muslim, Sikh, and general in proportion to their respective population.
Members of each community in the Provincial Legislative Assembly elected their own representatives by the method of proportional representation with single transferable vote.
FUNCTIONING OF THE CONSTITUENT ASSEMBLY
- B N Rao was appointed the constitutional advisor of the Assembly.
- On 9th December 1946 the first meeting of Constituent Assembly took place where Dr Sachidanand Sinha was the interim President. After that Dr. Rajendra Prasad was elected as its President on Dec 11 946.
- The Assembly had 13 communities for framing the constitution.
- All the communities submitted their reports, which were widely discussed by the Constituent Assembly.
At last we can say that the process of giving Constitution to our nation was very complicated at that time because India is a country where many people live with various class of the society.In addition a constitution should fulfill all the interest of the common people and especially this was very challenging. So, amendments were done at different times to change as it required. As a result Indian Constitution is called quasi flexible and quasi rigid.
MORE ABOUT INDIAN CONSTITUTION CLICK HERE
CLICK HERE TO GO TO HOME PAGE.
CLICK HERE TO GO TO GOOGLE HOME PAGE.